Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Random Thoughts

I've had several ideas/thoughts/observations that don't quite warrant their own blog post but I still want to get them out.  So I'll put them here in Random Thoughts - my potentially recurring themed article.  Let me know what you think!

I was running Maraudon and still getting used to the place.  The first few times I ran it, we continued on after our 'loot' boss (the one that gives us our sack of goodies) and each time, the group ran into a brick wall when we got to the hydras.  No big deal, they were red mobs to me and most of the rest of the group as well.  And when we wiped, getting back to the dungeon (and correct instance) proved too difficult so we called it.

I figured this time would be about the same.  But when I zoned in, our healer put up what must have been a pre-made statement.  I don't remember it verbatim, but it went something like this

'Hi and welcome to the run.  I have a few suggestions that will make everyone's experience more enjoyable.  First, let the tank get aggro.  He may be lower level than you or she may still be learning her role.  Please count to 5 before unleashing your big guns.  When the tank has aggro, things die more quickly and we have more fun!'

or something to that effect.

Since this came right on the heals of my usual 'howdy' it caught me off guard but I lol'd.  Since I was the tank, I appreciated the sentiment.  There wasn't much reaction otherwise.

Thinking back on it, I liked what he did.  I wouldn't duplicate it myself because I think if it was something that gained widespread use, it would lose its effect.  But seeing it just the one time made an impression.

Oh yea, and at the end of the run, he had another script thanking us for the smooth fight.  All in all, nicely done and just understated enough to be effective. 

Wow, I guess that could have been a blog entry. Oh well.

Other random thoughts?

Running Sunken Temple with melee trolls is hard.  I can't tell you how many times I accidentally targeted a party-mate in there.

Have you ever noticed that you only really learn the instance when you're done with it?  Well, except for Wailing Caverns, of course.  But I only ran that 2-3 times.  But when I think about it, the first time I ran each stage of Maraudon, I was completely lost and only got comfortable on the last run or two before I moved up to the next stage.  Same with Uldaman, and now Sunken Temple.  I've spent more time in BRD than these others, so I (kinda) know my way around.  But I'm sure I'll get blindfolded lost at first.

Looking ahead, I've heard that LFG puts us straight into Outland dungeons meaning we won't do Scholomance and Stratholme.  I think I'm gonna pick those two special.  I want a (very small) chance at the mount.  I want the experience of running it at level (the actual experience, not the XP), I want the achievements, and I want the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment