Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I'm 50 and Sunken Temple is as Bad as I Feared but I have a Guide!

I dinged 50 over weekend - WOOT!  I picked up Devastate so now my sunder armors actually do damage.  I'm looking forward to doing damage and still gaining rage (Cleave takes the place of a white attack, so you not only spend the rage from Cleave, but you also miss out on the rage you would have gained from the white attack - a double whammy).

On the Fury side, I skipped Rampage since I don't really intend to do many dungeons in this build and instead took Bloodsurge.

So now I'm taking a bit of a dungeon break and am working on my level 50 warrior quests so I can get my admittedly 'meh' trinket from Sunken Temple.  Which I've been running ad nauseum for the past week.  And while I won't say that the place grows on you, it does get less infuriating as you learn where you're going.  I still don't have it down cold yet, but I am getting better. 

In a nutshell, here are my tips on how to make Sunken Temple bearable -

Whichever method you use, you'll be taking the route that is straight/right hallway.  If you do the upper part, you'll stick with the main hallway. If you do the lower part, you 'll take a hard right after you enter the hallway and go down a few flights of stairs.

I highly recommend doing the lower section first (with all the maggots).  This is the statue part and it makes for a quicker run.  If you do the top section first, you'll be retracing your steps (I forget why, but it happened twice, so I believe it).  Anyway, as you enter the dungeon, you'll take the front/right hallway.  You'll kill a couple of mobs and then face a decision to go up a flight of stairs or take a hard right and go down a few flights.  Go down.  (Note, this turn if very easy to miss, so pay attention).  You'll know you're in the right area when you see bunches of maggots running around....well, crawling around....ok slithering?  In any event, the maggots are my key indicator that I'm in the right spot.

Now, clear this whole hallway along with the five statue rooms.  Once that is all done, the statues need to be activated in the proper order.  I will say that the order is

6 o'clock (south)
12 o'clock (north)
8 o'clock (SW)
5 o'clock (SE)
10 o'clock (NW)
2 o'clock (NE)

But I wouldn't blame you if you forgot (I still do, I had to look that up).  Instead, send each person to a statue, and you start at the southern one.  Click on your statue first and it will glow green.  Run to the empty statue (6 statues, 5 man group).  While you're running, have each person click on their statue. The one that lights up is 'set' and another person can try.  Do this until all statues are glowing green.

Jump down and kill the boss!

Once you have, you run out of this room and you'll make your way back to the entrance room of the dungeon.  Now take the same hallway as when you started, but this time go up the stairs.  As with the lower tier, you'll want to clear this hallway along with the side rooms.  The side rooms have a troll in each one but this part can be tricky - the rooms can be on either side - left or right (I think they alternate).  And again, the doorways are easy to miss.  From each troll balcony, you can see how many more you need to kill or if you've missed any, so that helps.

Once all the trolls are dead, jump down into the room below.  The tank should go first because you will land in combat.  Clear this room completely.  There are some bosses off this room.  Hakkar is purely optional and in fact can only be accessed if someone in your party has done a quest chain and gotten an egg of some sort.  I've only done it once.  It was fun, but long.

The two required bosses are the Prophet and Eranikus.  Prophet must die first because he 'unlocks' Eranikus.  It's a pretty straightforward fight.  The main tip is for the trash - pull them waaaay back because they do fear.  A lot.  Also, when some of the trash dies, they turn into slow-moving spectres that pack a wallop if they get close enough.  They cannot be killed, but will self destruct after 10-15 seconds or so.  Running away from them is the easiest option.

Eranikus has two 'guardian' dragons - the mini bosses Hazzas and Morphaz.  They aggro together and they tend to toss the tank around, so it's best to put your back up against a wall.  Other than that, they're not very hard, but they are lvl50 elites, so if you're in a lower leveled group, they'll prove a decent challenge.

And that's basically it.  It does take a long time - roughly an hour - regardless of how fast you go.  It's just a big instance with lots of trash to kill.  And there is an order you need to follow in order to unlock bosses to get to the end.

I hope I'm about to 'graduate' into BRD soon.  Although ST is easier now that I know it, it's still nowhere near my favorite.  I'll run it one more time to get my trinket and then that'll be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment